Job Description for Administrative Assistant
Mon – Thurs: 8:00am-5:00pm
Administrative Assistant will be our first contact with visitors to our church office. We expect this person to be courteous, polite, and considerate. He/she should think of others before self, following the example of Christ. This attitude of selflessness should be evident in all contact with the public. This does not mean, however, that there are not limits to his/her time spent with each visitor, as there are timely duties required in this position. These duties include:
1. Answer the phone and direct calls.
2. Greet and direct visitors to the office.
3. Make appointments for the pastor, associate pastor and business manager.
4. Send reminder emails and make reminder phone calls as needed.
5. Keep the prayer list and hospital list current.
6. Contact visitors via mail, email, phone call, and social media.
7. Coordinate volunteers for church event and community events.
8. Manage the medical closet.
9. Produce and send monthly newsletter.
10. Maintain Church directory.
11. Order and maintain office and kitchen supplies.
12. Assist and manage as needed with special projects directed by the pastor, associate pastor and business manager.
1. Experience with Windows computers and Office Suite applications- Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook.
2. Basic Understanding of how to use an internet browser.
3. Experience with Multi-Line Phone System.
4. Good organizational and social skills.
5. Hands-on experience with office equipment (e.g. fax machines and printers)
6. Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
7. Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
8. High school degree; additional college education or certification in Office Management and/or proven work experience as a Receptionist, Front Office Representative or similar role is a plus.
The ideal candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to organize their work using tools, like MS Excel and office equipment. If you also have previous experience as a secretary or administrative assistant and have a passion for the vision of our church, we’d like to meet you.
Along with all Christians, we are called to make new disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
As a church with a rich heritage of investing our gifts in service to others, we believe that there are families in today’s world living without the knowledge that they are loved by God. As sons and daughters called into His kingdom, we seek to be shepherds of God’s love in our community and a place of encouragement, nurture, and support for families in the Athens area where we connect them to the love of Jesus Christ.
We envision a church made up of diverse families growing in healthy relationships with God, whose faith is grounded in service, representing the hands of Christ in our community. If we are faithful to this vision, then the people of this area will know that being part of God’s family of faith at FUMC Athens provides a discipleship pathway to grow spiritually, emotionally and physically in the reflection of Jesus Christ.
We will know we have succeeded in tending God’s flock when we see an increase of families in Athens who worship together with us; families who model the love and grace of Jesus Christ in their homes and community; families whose love and service will shepherd others to experience the incredible love of God.