Tradition has it that the first Methodist sermon ever delivered in Athens was to a “congregation” gathered under an historic old oak tree near the Courthouse Square in 1852. The Reverend Hezekiah Mitcham also delivered sermons in the dining room of a hotel, in homes of members, and in the Baptist and Presbyterian churches. The Reverend U.B. Phillips was pastor in 1884 when a frame structure was erected on West Tyler Street at a cost of about $2,000.
1901 - Methodism was growing in athens
Modern Age of the Methodist Church
On March 6, 1960, a church conference voted to relocate and our present sanctuary, fellowship hall, and education building were dedicated on October 18, 1964. In 1986 the Miller Children’s Building was added. A multipurpose activities building was completed August 8, 2003. This facility has a full size gymnasium, commercial kitchen, youth recreation room and four classrooms. In 2017 the little used Fellowship Hall was converted into a Modern Worship Center featuring state of the art Audio, Video, and Lighting systems. In December of 2019 a new gathering space with coffee bar was constructed along with new Choir and Bridal Suite, Reception area, and Staff Office Wing.